How to unlock your iPhone for use with another carrier [UPDATED]
- Hits: 4274
You can unlock your iPhone for use with different carriers. Unlocking means that you can use your phone with a different carrier. This is also sometimes referred to as a SIM-Free or contract-free phone.
Unlock your iPhone
First, your carrier will need to process your unlock request. Then you'll back up, erase, and restore your iPhone to unlock it.
Start the process:
- See if your carrier offers unlocking:
- See if your carrier offers unlocking.
- Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.
- Contact your carrier and request an unlock. You might need to meet requirements to qualify for unlocking. After you submit the request to your carrier, it might take a few days to complete. Contact your carrier for the status of your unlock request.
- After your carrier confirms that your iPhone unlock has been processed, go to the next section.
If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier, follow these steps:
- Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
- Complete the setup process.
If you don't have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:
- Back up your iPhone.
- When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
- Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.
Follow these steps if you have any issues or if you see this message in iTunes or on your device:
"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."
- Restore your iPhone to factory settings.
- Contact your carrier to verify that the unlock was applied in your carrier's system.
- Restore your iPhone from a backup.